Holistics is a fast-growing startup based out of Singapore, Indonesia and Ho Chi Minh City. We have a strong engineering culture and understand what it takes to build scalable software. We are obsessed with code quality and code reusability - we refactor, clean up, and think about how to optimize our code.
We are building a data platform that allows companies to set up an end-to-end, reusable, and scalable data analytics stack without engineering resources. Our software transforms how companies make better, well-informed business decisions. Our platform has helped improve the data productivity of companies in over 30 countries. Unicorns like Grab, Traveloka... as well as well-funded startups like 99.co, ShopBack, KFIT, Kaodim... are among our proud customers.
- People-First Company
We believe the right people make all the difference. Building great software comes from building great teams. This puts our focus on the right people working well and having fun together.
- Personal Growth
A good employee is a good student of life, and at Holistics we commit to help you develop yourself as an individual. We have weekly talks where our members share various different life topics, from “American history” to “How to invest in stock market”.
- Productivity Workstation
As working professionals, we understand what it takes to be productive, and it starts with a good workstation. You’ll get your own Macbook Pro (or Windows Laptop), a mechanical Leopold FC750R keyboard, a Razer mouse, and a 24” Ultrasharp monitor.
WHY YOU'LL LOVE WORKING HERE?
Our Engineering Philosophy
- Problem Solving Centric
We are not obsessed with any particular technology. We believe cool technologies might not get the job done, the right technologies do. We currently use Ruby, Node.js, VueJS with PostgreSQL and Redis but not afraid to try new things. We invented our own job scheduling system when we found nothing fit our needs.
- Quality Over Quantity
We think performance and code quality should not be an afterthought. We favor code refactoring over adding new functionality. We focus on test-driven development, short-cycle deployment. We make sure our code is highly readable and modular with thorough technical documentations and proper design patterns.
- Metrics-Driven Engineering
When it comes to engineering performance, we don't feel, we know. We don't just rely on intuitions, but let the numbers speak for itself. We have logging and monitoring properly set up. We know how fast (or slow) our site is, and how much improvements we've made compared to last week.
OUR ENGINEERING CULTURE
- We don’t fancy-free food or ping pong table, we focus on building an environment where our engineers can be productive and concentrate on solving good problems
- Our engineers own the product from end to end. They are involved in and get to speak directly with the customers to understand how they’re using it
- We don’t write bad code to rush for the deadline. We prefer spending more time refactoring the code over shipping bad code
OUR INTERVIEW PROCESS
- We want to know how it feels like to work together. First, you’ll see Holistics and how our customers are using it. Later we’ll code together online, or review your solution to an offline code challenge.
- When you come onsite, you’ll pair program with our engineers on Holistics codebase.
Hochiminh City, Vietnam
Holistics is looking for a full-stack open-source software engineer to work on an ambitious open-source project that has potential to impact developer teams around the world. This position is based in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam.
- We launched dbdiagram.io as a side-project in late 2018 with no marketing budget (still no marketing budget now) and at the moment (Nov 2020) it has over 250K users with over 70K monthly active users (MAUs), with than 70% of them are developers.
- Our second project, dbdocs.io, is a tool to help developers create database documentation site for their applications.
- Seeing the potential of this, we spun off its DSL language into open-source language DBML (github) to define database schema. It has been picked up and adopted by organizations across the world since.
- Our vision is to see DBML become the open-source industry standard for defining database schema for every web application. Imagine in every web application, there is a database.dbml to represent the database structure.
- We’re looking for a junior/mid-level full-stack engineer who’s excited by this vision to join us on this ambitious project.
- Work on developing 3 related projects revolving around database documentations:
- Our open-source database markup language: dbml.org
- Our database documentation tool (based on DBML): dbdocs.io
- Our database diagram drawing tool (based on DBML): dbdiagram.io
- Strong problem solving (most important)
- Excited about working with open-source projects or developer-tool softwares
- Have at least 1 year of experiences in Software Development
- Good English communication skill (reading and writing)
- Both senior and junior positions are welcome
- Round 1: A short chat with HR (Short chat to introduce Holistics, our product, discuss to understand your skills and experiences)
- Round 2: Technical interview with Engineering team
- Round 3: Do take-home assignment (offline - deadline 3days)
Compensation: 800$ -1500$
- 14 Annual leaves/year, 14 Sick leaves/year
- 13th month-salary; Performance review twice a year
- 24/7 Healthcare Insurance, Periodic Medical Checkup
- Shares (Stock Options) for high-contributing individuals
- Workstation provided for maximal productivity: Macbook (or Laptop), Leopold FC750R mechanical keyboard, Razer Abyssus V2 computer mouse, 24’ Ultrasharp Monitor
- Active and agile working environment; Flexible time culture; Weekly happy hours, fruits, snack...
- Weekly TED talks to expand skills and knowledge, games and social sport activities with company; Company trip and company-organized events.
- An Opportunity to work with top-notch experts from around the world.
🕧 Working time: from Monday – Friday, from 9.00 a.m. to 6.00 p.m.
🌐 Work location: Charmington La Pointe Building, 181, Cao Thang Street, District 10, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam.